Creatures is an artificial life (alife) video game collection, created within the mid-Nineties by English computer scientist Steve Grand while working for the Cambridge video games developer Millennium Interactive.
Gameplay focuses on elevating alien creatures generally known as Norns, educating them to outlive, serving to them discover their world, defending them in opposition to different species, and breeding them. Phrases will be taught to creatures by a studying pc (for verbs) or by repeating the title of the item whereas the creature is it. After a creature understands language, the participant can instruct their creature by typing in directions, which the creature could select to obey.
An entire life cycle is modelled for the creatures – childhood, adolescence, maturity, and senescence, every with their very own explicit wants. The gameplay is designed to foster an emotional bond between the participant and their creatures. Quite than taking a scripted method, Creatures collection video games had been pushed by detailed organic and neurological simulation and their surprising outcomes.
There have been six main Creatures releases from Creature Labs. Between 1996 and 2001, there have been three principal video games launched, the Docking Station add-on (usually referenced as a separate sport) and two kids’s video games, and there have been three video games created for console methods. A sequel named Creatures On-line was in growth, with the synthetic life know-how from Creatures 3 and Docking Station up to date to a 3D surroundings.
This system was one of many first industrial titles to code alife organisms from the genetic stage upwards utilizing a classy biochemistry and neural network brains, together with simulated senses of sight, listening to and contact. This meant that the Norns and their DNA might develop and “evolve” in more and more numerous methods, unpredicted by the makers. By breeding sure Norns with others, some traits could possibly be handed on to following generations. The Norns turned out to behave equally to dwelling creatures. Sight is simulated by having a gaggle of neurons representing every sort of object on this planet. When an object belonging to this kind is in entrance of the creature (‘inside eyesight’), the neuron turns into energetic and the creature can ‘see’ the item. The Norns possess simulated biological drives which give punishment when they’re raised, and reward when they’re lowered. The mannequin for Norns’ decision-making course of is Behaviorist and primarily based on Norns studying learn how to cut back their drives. Dickinson and Balleine state that whereas this stimulus-response/reinforcement course of makes the creatures appear to be they’re goal-directed, they’re as a substitute ‘behavior machines’ responding in a realized vogue to explicit stimuli.
Mutations within the genome additionally happen, permitting new traits to look within the inhabitants and doubtlessly be inherited by a future technology. As a result of the Norns have a lifespan of roughly 40 hours, customers might observe the modifications that happen over numerous generations. Defective genomes may also happen – for instance, Norns which can not see or hear, or immortal Norns on account of a hyper-efficient digestion system. Creatures used the emergent method seen in animats, however with the aim of extra complicated behaviours than locomotion. Grand describes the psychological mannequin of the creatures as being impressed by rats. In 2000, Steve Grand described the intelligence stage of Norns as being like ants. Margaret Boden, in 2003, rejected Creatures as being a type of alien life because the simulated metabolism is worried with controlling the Norn’s behaviour, not on sustaining its ‘bodily’ type. In 2011, Steve Grand acknowledged that whereas the Norns in Creatures might study, generalise from previous experiences to novel experiences, and react in an clever method to stimuli, they may not assume.
The genetics in Creatures are considerably totally different from human genetics; they’re haploid. There is no such thing as a idea of dominant gene and recessive gene, a lot much less recombination between loci. However, the complexity of the simulated biochemistry meant that Norn behaviour was extremely unpredictable.
Among the many followers of Creatures had been the Oxford zoologist Richard Dawkins, who known as it a “quantum leap within the growth of synthetic life”, and writer Douglas Adams.Creatures impressed some gamers to take up careers within the sciences.
Initially conceived as a desktop pet with a mind, Grand later integrated inspiration from The Planiverse to pitch a “little pc ewoks” sport, like the sport Little Computer People. Grand wished gamers to have a rapport with their creatures, feeling that he ought to make the creatures appear “genuinely alive” to the participant, displaying “the ‘proper’ form of behaviour’ in quite a lot of circumstances. To create this sort of behaviour, Grand felt it was essential to program the creatures by simulating the constructing blocks of nature in a bottom-up method, permitting the complicated behaviour to emerge, somewhat than utilizing a rule-based system method. Grand later wished to incorporate references to an “English” or Norse mythology, to attempt to make the world extra internally constant, however discovered that the workforce wished to make the sport into a traditional journey sport. He later determined to cut back on the mythology facets of the sport, focusing as a substitute on the artificial life level – finally presenting the sport as a synthetic pet hobby, which supplied a few of the impetus to incorporate genetics within the creatures.Creatures was developed as a client product by Millennium, and was launched by Mindscape in 1996. This system was immediately profitable, and an online community of gamers quickly shaped, swapping Norns, creating new objects for Albia, sharing recommendations on learn how to play the sport and anecdotes about surprising evolutionary modifications that they’d seen, and even creating new breeds of Norn. At one level, the Creatures on-line group was the most important of its sort.
In 1996, Creatures gained an EMMA Award. Primarily based on gross sales of 500,000 copies of Creatures from 1996 by way of to the second quarter of 1998, it was estimated that at the moment, there was a attainable world inhabitants of as much as 5 million norns.
Improvement of Creatures 2 started in Q3 1997. In 1998, the video video games division of Millennium was bought to Sony Leisure whereas these engaged on alife and Creatures shaped a brand new firm known as Cyberlife Know-how. Together with continued work on the Creatures titles, the corporate did work for business and the British Ministry of Defence, famously making an attempt to show stay organisms to fly digital fighter jets.Creatures 2 was nominated within the Synthetic Intelligence class of the Game Developers Conference‘s Highlight Award.
Within the late Nineties, Grand left Cyberlife to type Cyberlife Analysis and concentrate on the manufacturing of latest alife applied sciences, together with work on a robotic life type he known as Lucy in addition to writing books about his analysis. The rest of the corporate was renamed Creature Labs, and targeted on video game development.
Sequels to Creatures, together with Creatures 2, Creatures 3 and the small-children’s video games Creatures Adventures and Creatures Playground, had been launched by Creature Labs in subsequent years. Creatures Adventures gained an EMMA Award in 2000.Creatures Playground was exhibited at E3 and nominated for a BAFTA award in 2000. The ultimate main Creatures launch, Docking Station, was made accessible for obtain from the corporate’s website online in 2001.
Improvement was suspended on future Creatures video games on March 20, 2003, when Creature Labs ceased operations, however growth and trademark rights have since been bought by Gameware Improvement, Ltd. Gameware has revived the Creatures Developer Community, the store, the boards, the Docking Station server, and has launched many before-purchasable instruments and add-ons without cost.
In 2004, the Creatures video games have been re-released together packs underneath the names Creatures: The Albian Years (C1, C2), Creatures Exodus (C3, DS) and Creatures Village (CA, CP). The Albian Years, and Exodus embody the separate video games, whereas Village has merged Adventures and Playground right into a single sport.
Kutoka Interactive, a Canadian kids’s software program firm, has created releases of Creatures Exodus (Kutoka) and Creatures Village (Kutoka Youngsters) which might be appropriate with each Apple’s Mac OS X and Windows XP. They had been launched on 30 September 2005, and will be bought both immediately from Kutoka or from different on-line shops.
In November 2009, GOG.com introduced that they had been providing Creatures: The Albian Years, Creatures Exodus and Creatures Village on the market on their website as digital downloads. In 2011, Creatures 3: Raised in House, a PlayStation One sport, was re-released on the PlayStation Plus service.
In 2011, Fishing Cactus introduced they had been growing Creatures 4, to be demonstrated at that 12 months’s gamescom. A second demonstration was exhibited at gamescom 2012.Creatures 4 is Fishing Cactus’s most complicated sport to this point.Creatures 4 appeared on the 2012 Paris Games Week. In Could 2013, Fishing Cactus introduced that they and BigBen had been partnering with ProSiebenSat.1 Games as a distributor, and that the secret can be modified from Creatures 4 to Creatures On-line. One other demo was proven at gamescom 2013. Julien Hamaide, a developer of Creatures On-line, offered about it on the Recreation/AI Convention 2014. In September 2015, Fishing Cactus halted the event of Creatures On-line.
In 2016, Spil Games introduced that they’d purchased the Creatures intellectual property from BigBen and had been growing a free-to-play cellular sport known as Creatures Household to be launched in 2017.
Fundamental gameplay consists of hatching some creatures, often norns, and guiding them to achieve maturity and to breed extra creatures, with the aim of a extra clever future inhabitants. Phrases will be taught to creatures by a studying pc (for verbs) or by repeating the title of the item whereas the creature is it. After a creature understands language, the participant can instruct their creature by typing in directions, which the creature could select to obey. The participant can not power creatures to do something. The participant is represented by a disembodied hand on this planet, and the hand can try to show creatures by tickling them as a reward or punishing creatures by slapping them. (For Creatures Village, aimed toward very younger gamers, tickling is completed by a feather wand, and punishment is represented by a squirt bottle.) Older norns may also train ideas to youthful norns. Norns might also categorical to the participant how they’re feeling. The language facet was integrated to advertise a relationship between norns and gamers, permitting gamers to anthropomorphise their creatures. An entire life cycle is modelled for the creatures – childhood, adolescence, maturity, and senescence, every with their very own explicit wants. Breeding is depicted within the sport as “a fragile affair”, and is proven within the sport by “an extended kissing sound adopted by a pop”. The gameplay is designed to foster an emotional bond between the participant and their creatures. Demise has actual penalties – the person norns don’t return after they die. All creatures are bipedal, however there are some variant appearances which might be genetically-linked. Some alternate play types embody “wolfling runs”, the place the participant could not intervene of their creatures’ lives, and even norn torture. Attempting to selectively breed or engineer sure traits into the inhabitants can also be well-liked, for instance, colored creatures, norns with a greater immune system, or a less-aggressive grendel.
A Norn is an AIL (Synthetic clever life) species, the event and survival of which represent the principle thematic parts of this system.
Norns are playful, all-trusting, naive creatures that like to discover. That is typically the explanation for his or her downfall, struggling, and loss of life. They’re extra vulnerable to illness compared to Ettins and Grendels, and in previous age they might fall prey to a losing illness that stops them from absorbing sure vitamins.
Grand wished Norns to be endearing and for gamers to maintain them as pets – that they need to be impartial and cussed, like toddlers, that the design of the norn needs to be interesting to as many individuals as attainable, and that the participant ought to care in regards to the norns. Reviewers have in contrast the Norns’ visible design to the Mogwai of the Gremlins movie collection. The Shee initially created the Norns as a mix of valet and pet. In keeping with the Creatures Labs web site, they unfold throughout the galaxy by way of the Warp and advanced into numerous variations, together with however not restricted to: Poisonous Norn, Treehugger Norn and Magma Norns. The unfold of Norns all through the galaxy is said to the mysterious disappearance of the Shee from Albia (from the standpoint of the Norns). It might even be an indication of how the Shee fared of their try and discover a liveable planet.
Within the video games, the Norns have their very own simulated biochemistry, haploid genetics, and neural network to function a mind. From Creatures 2 onwards, Norns additionally possess organs decided by their genetics; mutation and damage can render these defunct, with usually deadly penalties. Every of those has grown considerably over the course of the collection, permitting the creatures to turn out to be extra complicated and clever. Norns are omnivores and eat quite a lot of meals, together with carrots, lemons, seeds, bugs, fish, honey, and different issues. The Norns that the participant begins with require some extent of coaching and self-discipline from the participant with a purpose to make good selections to take care of their well being; nonetheless, in a while they will evolve to be extra impartial and hardy, with better-developed instincts and a extra strong biochemistry. The participant can benefit from this to breed sure colors or traits by way of synthetic choice, and thru many generations the modifications can turn out to be fairly pronounced.
The statue of a Shee in Creatures 2. That is certainly one of only a few official in-game appearances of the Shee. (There are extra hidden deeper within the sport.)
The Shee are a race of absent-minded scientists. They’re the unique inhabitants of Albia, and the creators of the Norns, Ettins, and Grendels.
The Shee are all inventors, and make most of their innovations to avoid wasting time on duties that might have taken however a couple of minutes in any other case.
Most of their discoveries are made accidentally, and as such, they sequenced their very own DNA and eradicated all genetic defects, earlier than discovering the wheel.
Millennia in the past, the Shee had left the disk-shaped world of Albia, as they desired to stay on a “extra spherical world”. They created the Shee Ark, took alongside some Norns, Ettins, and numerous animals and crops, and set out for his or her new residence. The Shee Ark, like all Shee spacecraft, was itself a dwelling creature grown from scratch, and used “Bioenergy” (the vitality of dwelling issues, used to stability the sport) to carry out its numerous capabilities.
Early ideas of the Shee had them as merely a extra superior life type than the Norns, not their creators.
Ettins had been created by the Shee to assist them on their experiments, particularly when utilizing equipment. They made them like machines a lot, they have an inclination to steal bits for themselves, typically taking them to wherever they contemplate their residence.
C2 Ettins behave somewhat in another way; they have an inclination to steer a tragic and lonely life underground with nobody however Pitz and the occasional Grendel for firm. The backstory within the guides and handbook, in addition to the opening sequence, reveals that they as soon as lived within the desert on the prime of Albia and, true to their nature, constructed the pyramid that sits there. The precise use (if any) of the pyramid is unknown.
Ettins had been launched into the Creatures collection in C2, having been revealed to the world after the volcanic eruption.
An early idea of the Ettins described them as insignificant “small, lizard-like creatures”, who had been typically saved as pets by Norns.
The Ettins in Creatures 2 had been infertile; nonetheless, in Creatures 3, there have been two Ettins aboard the Shee Ark at most occasions (each feminine), and it was attainable to get them to breed if two of them had been positioned within the Gene Splicer machine to create a male Ettin.
An in-depth exploration of the genetics and neurology of the Ettins in Creatures 2 revealed that they had been continually in ache, apparently by design. This discovery was met by fan uproar.
Grendels are the green-skinned, red-eyed antagonists of the Norns, over which the participant has little management, stealing meals and injuring particular person Norns. Additionally they carry illnesses dangerous to Norns. The early ideas of their look described them as “resembling an enormous, titanium spider”.
Within the unmodified Creatures 1 and 2, Grendels don’t reproduce, being born infertile. Typically, just one Grendel is alive on this planet of Albia at a time. In Creatures 3, two Grendels had been alive aboard the Shee Ark at most occasions (each male), but it surely was attainable to get them to breed and have offspring if each had been positioned within the Gene Splicer machine and used to create a feminine Grendel.
In all three video games, Grendels are mechanically produced by a “Mom” machine; in Creatures 3, nonetheless, it’s attainable to make sure that there aren’t any Grendels within the sport by killing any current grendels (e.g. within the airlock) after which ready by the mom, then putting any eggs into water (the piranha pool) in order that they can not hatch.
The Grendels had been one other genetically engineered creation of the Shee, albeit an unintentional one. They had been actually not what the Shee had been making an attempt to get because of this from their experiments, and had been thought-about to be dangerous, ineffective monsters. Nonetheless, a few of the evil Shee (generally known as the Banshee) believed the Grendels had been genetically superior to the Norns, and saved some for enchancment.
The Creatures group has appeared to undertake the Grendel as an underdog determine, making a “Grendel Liberation Entrance” – regardless of being supposed so as to add stress to Norns’ lives, gamers started to tame their Grendels.
This part wants growth. You may assist by adding to it. (November 2012)
In every of the video games, gamers work together with the world by way of using a graphical hand because the participant’s mouse in the principle visible space of the sport. In Creatures and Creatures 2, gamers can use applets in a toolbar, typically known as Kits, alongside the highest of the sport window, to entry many capabilities, akin to getting their first norn eggs, naming and photographing their norns, monitoring the well being and basic biochemistry of the norns and administering medicines, monitoring pregnancies, injecting objects into the world, and recording deceased norns.Creatures 2 launched an Ecology Equipment and Neuroscience Equipment.
In Creature 3 and Docking Station, gamers nonetheless use a hand as their mouse to work together with creatures and the world, however the principle sport space doesn’t have toolbars like in Creatures and Creatures 2, however as a substitute has areas alongside the perimeters of the screens with buttons that the person can press to maneuver to totally different areas, view the present creatures on this planet, handle a list of things, and alter sport settings.
Charlie Brooker regarded the extent of element proven within the monitoring kits as “terrifying”, and it has been argued that the detailed monitoring kits spotlight the artificiality of the norns. Peter Smith disliked the limitation of C1 that the participant is “restricted to seeing areas that you have tagged as favourite locations or which might be at the moment inhabited by Norns,” and located it troublesome to accurately reward and punish the creatures.Creatures 2 launched an angel and satan glyph which seems subsequent to the hand to point out you whether or not you might be about to reward or punish your creature. Jim Brumbaugh, in reviewing Creatures, disliked the quantity of typing that was wanted to speak with the creatures, however discovered the menu system “extremely person pleasant.” He famous additionally that there was just one manner that the participant might save, when the participant exited the sport. Eddie Walou praised the simplified person interface of Creatures 4, saying that earlier video games felt such as you needed to have your BAC to know. Kahn Lusth, writing for Canard PC, loved the brand new interface of Creatures On-line for speaking with creatures, the place with a click on of the mouse the participant can select options to information their creatures, describing it as extra handy than typing key phrases. To enhance the ergonomics on the iOS system, a ‘rubber-band’ system has been created for Creatures On-line, the place the participant attracts a line between the norn and an object. When the finger is lifted, the accessible directions seem.
This part wants growth. You may assist by adding to it. (December 2012)
Whereas the preliminary pitch was for a desktop pet that would work together with different Home windows applications, for instance, Windows Media Player, as the sport developed, the necessity for a self-contained world grew to become extra obvious. The world was named “Albia”, after Albion, and one of many targets of gameplay grew to become to discover Albia. Grand thought that having the creatures inhabit a wealthy, “messy”, world, and to have the ability to work together with it in some ways would assist creatures’ personalities to emerge. The backdrop for Creatures was created by taking pictures of a bodily mannequin of the world, a part of which is now housed at The Centre for Computing History.
The world is rendered in 2.5D, and the world can easily scroll to observe a creature. The world incorporates many alternative objects, which creatures can work together with in quite a lot of methods. Objects are written utilizing an object-oriented programming method – every merchandise has their very own scripts which decide how they work together with creatures and with different objects. Objects are detected by a creature by being in its line of sight, which excites a neuron devoted to that class of objects. The thing-oriented method implies that the video games are extremely modifiable. A few of the objects on this planet are harmful to norns.
In Creatures 2, the surroundings grew to become extra complicated, with a “Full working eco-system, together with climate, seasons and a functioning food-chain. The crops seed and unfold across the surroundings if situations enable. The results of it is a very “actual” feeling world that adapts across the participant.”
In Creatures 3 and Docking Station, the sport was set on a spaceship. The surroundings grew to become extra segmented into areas known as “metarooms”, small biomes, every with their very own ecosystem. Gamers might obtain and add new metarooms to their video games.
Video games within the collection
There have been six main Creatures releases from Creature Labs. Along with the three principal video games, the Docking Station add-on (usually referenced as a separate sport) and two kids’s video games had been launched.
On Albia (later re-released as Creatures: The Albian Years)
The unique Creatures sport, launched in the UK and Australia in November 1996 and in North America in July 1997, passed off on the fictional disc-shaped world Albia. Whereas the “faces” of the disc had been uninhabitable, the “rim” of Albia was residence to a sophisticated environment very similar to Earth’s. Right here lay an deserted system of laboratories left over by the Shee, a sophisticated race that had instantly left the planet a few years earlier with a purpose to discover a extra steady world. In these laboratories and environments, the participant was in a position to hatch new Norns from leftover eggs and re-inhabit the world of Albia. In keeping with Millenium, each copy of Creatures incorporates a novel beginning set of eggs, whose genomes will not be replicated on some other copy of the sport. An growth pack, known as “Life Equipment #1” was launched for buy later.
Creatures 2, launched on September 30, 1998, passed off a few years after the primary sport, after a devastating natural disaster (or, as defined in later video games, a devastating Shee catastrophe) had modified the landscape of Albia dramatically and opened up new areas of the world. New technology and species had been made accessible to the player, and the creatures themselves had been supplied with “significantly extra sensory enter, extra actions they will take, and improved mind dynamics”. Regardless of the nice change in surroundings, together with a “full working eco-system”, the main target of the sport remained the identical. Creatures 2 Deluxe (with Life Equipment) quickly adopted. 200,000 copies of Creatures 2 had been instantly shipped upon its launch. Two growth packs, Life Equipment 1 and Life Equipment 2, had been launched for C2.Creatures 2 was thought-about “far more troublesome” than C1, and the brand new, tougher surroundings and norn biology was described as irritating, however that after putting in a brand new genome and going by way of successive generations, the Norns appeared smarter. Nick Walkland described the gameplay as a “labour of affection”, noting that the problem was to maintain your Norns’ lives. Sid Fisk of Gamezilla criticized the audio for Creatures 2 for not alerting him when his creature was near-death, however enjoying a “funeral dirge” because the physique left the display.
After leaving Albia (later re-released as Creatures Exodus)
Creatures 3, launched on November 4, 1999, took a detour from the primary two video games. It passed off on the spaceship that the Shee had used to flee Albia. The ship was divided into many fastidiously managed environments (Norn Terrarium, Jungle Terrarium, Desert Terrarium, Marine Terrarium). Creatures 3 was far more technologically targeted, together with many brokers which could possibly be linked in numerous methods to carry out duties. Nonetheless, the aim was to experiment with the three principal species and create a dwelling world out of an empty ship. Creatures 3 included a “new social ingredient”, by which norns might keep in mind relationships they’ve shaped with different creatures higher.
The ultimate main Creatures launch was Docking Station, an Internet-based add-on to Creatures 3, launched freed from cost on the Creatures website online on March 27, 2001. It was supposed as a method to promote Creatures 3 (the participant might dock the worlds of the 2 video games collectively, therefore the title “Docking” Station) and further packs of Norn breeds. Docking Station has an intermittent reminder display that encourages customers to purchase Creatures 3.
Docking Station added the potential of interplay between particular person participant worlds; Norns might ‘journey’ to different on-line worlds through a central server, gamers might chat to different on-line gamers, and it was attainable to trace Norns (and their offspring) that had been current of their worlds through the Docking Station web site. Whereas Docking Station was launched late within the collection’ run, it modified gameplay (and the potential of the collection) dramatically. One reviewer acknowledged that it opened up a complete new world for her on-line. One other reviewer criticised the web portion of the sport, because it requires the participant to search out on-line buddies.Docking Station additionally expanded significantly on the sport mythos, together with the introduction of an ‘anti-Shee’, the Banshee (a Grendel/Shee hybrid).
Creatures On-line was a deliberate sequel to the sport, which was being developed by Fishing Cactus. The sport was introduced as Creatures 4 in Fishing Cactus’s weblog in Could 2011.Creatures On-line was to have 5 worlds, was to be utterly in 3D graphics as a substitute of 2.5D pre-rendered graphics, and in-game forex was deliberate to purchase Norns toys, meals, and many others. Creatures On-line was designed to be a free-to-play sport. A collector’s version field was additionally introduced with a Norn figurine, the three authentic video games for present PCs, and the cash paid for the sport being usable as in-game cash for Norns.Creatures 4 entered an in-house alpha phase in March 2013. The inner methods of the creatures from C3/DS had been retained and up to date for the 3D surroundings. Norns’ fur patterns had been to be partially procedurally generated, with the aim of making certain “that no two Norns look alike”.Heterochromia iridum has been launched. The norns of Creatures On-line can have a brand new drive, tentatively known as “altruism“, which inspires them to do issues which can profit the norn colony, like tending to crops and fixing damaged toys. “Creatures 4” was renamed “Creatures On-line” in Could 2013.Creatures On-line, not like earlier entries within the Creatures collection, was to have a system of missions for the participant to finish.Creatures On-line was cancelled in November 2015 because of the lack of the license.
Youthful kids’s video games (later re-released as Creatures Village)
Launched in 2000, and focused at youthful kids (ages 6–9), Creatures Adventures dropped the complicated interface of the principle collection in favour of brighter graphics and a extra childlike ambiance.
The second sport within the youthful kids’s collection, Creatures Playground (launched the identical 12 months), could possibly be linked to Adventures to create a good greater world to discover. It has a theme park for the creatures, together with mini-games like whack-a-mole.
Console video games
The Creatures idea was made into three totally different video games for consoles: Creatures for the Game Boy Advance and Creatures and Creatures: Raised in Space for PlayStation. Within the PlayStation video games, the hand is changed by a fairy named Scrubby. Due to the restricted processing energy of the early-day consoles, the AI needed to be utterly reprogrammed by the console growth workforce round Volker Eloesser. A fourth, Challenge Loci, was in growth on the time of Creatures Labs’ liquidation, however was cancelled for lack of funds. Loci would have been the primary Creatures sport for the PS2, Xbox and GameCube.
Later bundled releases
There have been numerous re-releases of the Creatures video games. The later re-releases from Gameware improved Home windows XP compatibility by permitting them to run simply underneath non-administrator accounts and with out using the compatibility mode, however break compatibility with some third-party content material with out using a third-party patch.
- Creatures Trilogy / Creatures Trilogy Gold Assortment
This launch of Creatures Trilogy included Creatures, Creatures 2, and Creatures 3, in addition to the Life Equipment addons for the sooner video games. It was launched earlier than Docking Station, however the model of Creatures 3 included on this was similar to the unique launch (besides that it was utilizing the most recent patch) and was due to this fact appropriate with Docking Station.
Encore Software program launched a Creatures Trilogy containing Creatures, Creatures 2, and Creatures 3, underneath their Encare line. Additionally they launched a “gold” model titled Creatures Trilogy Gold Assortment.
- Creatures Web Version / Creatures Gold
The ultimate main Creatures launch was a re-release in 2001 by FastTrak Software program Publishing as Creatures Web Version, a bundle of Creatures 3, Creatures 3 Replace 2, Docking Station, and a variety of surroundings extras and instruments (many with multilingual variants).Linux Game Publishing launched a Linux port of Creatures Web Version just a few months later in December 2001.
The unique Creatures Web Version was launched once more in 2002 by Focus Multimedia, with out the bodily handbook, as Creatures Gold, however the disc contents had been similar (and so the installer and PDF handbook each referred to it as Creatures Web Version).
- Creatures: The Albian Years
Creatures 1 and Creatures 2 on one disk, up to date to run on Home windows XP.
- Creatures Exodus
Creatures 3 and Docking Station plus a collection of new Norn breeds on one disk, up to date for improved Home windows XP compatibility. Mac OS X and Home windows & Mac dual-format, and free downloadable variations are additionally accessible.
- Creatures Village
Creatures Adventures and Creatures Playground, merged and up to date for improved Home windows XP compatibility. Mac OS X and Home windows & Mac dual-format variations are additionally accessible.
- Creatures Triple Assortment
Creatures Triple Pack, in any other case generally known as Creatures Assortment: Triple, incorporates The Albian Years, Creatures Exodus and Creatures Village for Home windows.
This part wants growth. You may assist by adding to it. (October 2013)
As of September 2017, the Creatures Neighborhood, or CC, continues to be very energetic on-line and within the video games; Annually, the Neighborhood holds a competition known as the Creatures Neighborhood Spirit Competition, or CCSF, to rejoice the video games and the group that has shaped because the creation of the sport. Gamers have all the time ranged in age and the passion for the video games continues to be very excessive.
The early video games would not have particular targets, main some reviewers to contemplate it a ‘small scale genetic experiment’ somewhat than a sport. One reviewer compares the sport to a digital ‘fish tank‘, feeling that after the frustration of elevating norns by way of their childhood was over and a breeding inhabitants had been established, the sport grew to become boring for him.
For Caroline Daniel, it’s intriguing what our interactions with the sport will reveal about us. Moreover, Daniel regarded the sport as an necessary step in popularising synthetic life know-how within the residence.
Jay Schindler questioned if this sport was leisure or a simulation of parenthood. Schindler criticised the shortcoming to scroll all the best way world wide. Schindler additionally famous that elevating a gaggle of norns was far more troublesome than elevating a single norn, as they may work together with one another with a lot higher ease than he might work together with a norn.
Don Labriola wrote of Creatures that “no different program so efficiently mirrors the thrill and challenges of elevating a baby or pet.”
In 2016, the Creatures collection was featured by an instructional examine into science-themed video video games as depicting an correct mannequin of evolution and pure choice, displaying three key options of the method.
- ^ Holt, Lindsey (2006). “Simulation: Life Inside the Machine”. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- ^ Marjorie A. Zielke, Monica J. Evans et al. (March–April 2009). “Serious Games for Immersive Cultural Training: Creating a Living World” (PDF). IEEE Laptop Graphics and Purposes. Retrieved 2012-10-22.CS1 maint: makes use of authors parameter (link)
- ^ Stern, Andrew (1999). “AI Beyond Computer Games” (PDF). AAAI Technical Report SS-99-02. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ a b c Grand, Stephen; Cliff, Dave (1998). “Creatures: Leisure Software program Brokers with Synthetic Life”. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems. 1 (1): 39–57. doi:10.1023/A:1010042522104.
- ^ “‘Creatures’ Craze Is Now the Norn – Los Angeles Times”. Articles.latimes.com. 1997-07-21. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- ^ “Three ways to get A-life” (PDF). IEEE EXPERT. July–August 1997. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ a b c Grand, Steve; Cliff, Dave; Mahotra, Anil. (1996). “Creatures: Artificial Life Autonomous Software Agents for Home Entertainment” (PDF). Millennium Technical Report 9601; College of Sussex Technical Report CSRP434. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ Dickinson, Anthony; Balleine, Bernard W. (2000). “Causal cognition and goal-directed motion.”. In Heyes, Cecilia; Huber, Ludwig (eds.). The evolution of cognition.Vienna collection in theoretical biology. Cambridge, MA, US: The MIT Press. p. 186. ISBN 978-0262082860.
- ^ a b c “Millennium Interactive”. Next Generation. No. 23. Imagine Media. November 1996. pp. 56–57.
- ^ Woodcock, Steven (20 November 1998). “Game AI: The State of the Industry”. Gamasutra.
- ^ Richtel, Matt (June 5, 1997). “Coming Soon to the Virtual Pet Store: ‘Creatures’ Who Live, Eat and Reproduce”. Companions.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Creatures July Newsletter Page 2”. Cyberlife. Archived from the original on 1997-10-16. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- ^ a b c d e f Cliff, Dave; Grand, Stephen (1999). “The Creatures International Digital Ecosystem”. Synthetic Life. 5 (1): 77–93. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.19.258. doi:10.1162/106454699568683. PMID 10421678.
- ^ a b Grand, Steve (2000). “The Emergence of Character: Create Souls from Cells”. In Dautenhahn, Kerstin (ed.). Human cognition and social agent know-how. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Firm. p. 352. ISBN 978-9027251398.
- ^ a b “The sport business’s Dr. Frankenstein”. Next Generation: 8–13. November 1997.
- ^ Graham-Rowe, D. (2000-04-01). “God of the Norns”. New Scientist. 165 (2232): 42–45. Archived from the original on 2000-06-05.
- ^ Boden, Margaret A. (2003). “Alien life: how would we all know?”. Worldwide Journal of Astrobiology. 2 (2): 121–129. Bibcode:2003IJAsB…2..121B. doi:10.1017/S1473550403001496.
- ^ Grand, Steve (2011-03-06). “Introduction to an artificial mind”. Steve Grand’s Weblog. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “GENETICS PREVIEW KIT – REFERENCE GUIDE”. Cyberlife. 1998-01-26. Archived from the original on 1998-01-26. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Creature Labs Archive”. Peninsula Movies. Archived from the original on April 25, 2012.
- ^ Grand, Steve. “My books « Steve Grand’s Blog”. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ Grand, Steve (2011-02-28). “Blowing my own trumpet”. Steve Grand’s Weblog. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b Grand, Steve (November 4, 1992). “Mouse for Windows”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2005-03-12. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ Grand, Steve (16 November 1992). “Little Computer Ewoks”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2005-03-12. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ a b c Grand, Steve (12 December 1993). “Rationale”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2005-03-12. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ Grand, Steve (2000). “The Emergence of Character: Create Souls from Cells”. In Dautenhahn, Kerstin (ed.). Human cognition and social agent know-how. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Firm. p. 350. ISBN 978-9027251398.
- ^ a b Grand, Steve (2004-06-04). “Creatures history”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b c Grand, Steve (8 March 1993). “Small Furry Creatures: A Mythography”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ Grand, Steve (1 June 1995). ““Breeding Norns for Pleasure and Profit” — some thoughts”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b c Jepsen, Daybreak (January 1999). “They’re Lifeless, Jim: Pure Choice Goes Awry in This Miserable Replace”. Computer Gaming World (174): 364, 366.
- ^ “1996 Winners”. The Worldwide EMMA Awards. 2000-11-21. Archived from the unique on 2001-04-20. Retrieved 2012-11-12.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- ^ “CREATURES WINS INTERNATIONAL EMMA AWARD”. cyberlife.co.uk. 1997-06-07. Archived from the original on 1997-06-07. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b c d “Features – From Creatures to Androids”. Gamasutra. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- ^ “New Scientist Planet Science: Agents from Albia”. New Scientist. 1999-01-17. Archived from the original on 1999-01-17. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ BIRGIT RICHARD. “Norn Attacks and Marine Doom” (PDF). Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ “Stuff&NORNsense”. Creatures.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2001-02-11. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ “Creature Labs”. Gamewaredevelopment.com. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- ^ “2000 Winners”. The Worldwide EMMA Awards. 2001-04-21. Archived from the original on 2001-04-21. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures Playground gets first outing at E3 in Los Angeles”. Creature Labs. 5 Could 2000. Archived from the original on 17 April 2001. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Interactive Entertainment Awards 2000”. British Academy of Movie and Tv Arts. Archived from the original on 2000-12-14. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures Playground nominated for BAFTA”. Creature Labs. 4 October 2000. Archived from the original on 13 April 2001. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b “Highlights”. The Creatures Neighborhood. 2001-05-22. Archived from the original on 2001-05-22. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b c d “Gameware Development”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ “News – New release: Creatures”. GOG.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ “The Biggest PlayStation Plus Month Yet”. PlayStation Blog. April 6, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures 4 1st screenshot & creature artwork”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures 4 at the gamescom 2012 in Köln!”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ Christophe Clementi (Interviewer) (2013). Interview Fishing Cactus Creatures 4 pour RTBF – LSDJV [Interview With Fishing Cactus on Creatures 4 for RTBF – The Week in Video Games] (in French). Belgium: La Semaine Du Jeu Video (RTBF).
- ^ “Creatures 4 du Salon du jeu vidéo Paris Games Week”. Parisgamesweek.com. Archived from the original on October 29, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Paris Games Week 2012 | Creatures 4 Official Website”. Creatures4-thegame.co.uk. 2012-11-07. Archived from the original on January 17, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » C4 update: Euro distribution of Creatures Online”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures Online: News from gamescom 2013”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2013-08-23. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- ^ “Game/AI Conf. is evolving into nucl.ai”. Gameaiconf.com. 2015-07-22. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures 3 Online | Game/AI Conference™”. Gameaiconf.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures Status – Fishing Cactus Official Statement”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2016-01-21. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- ^ Scott Johnston (2016-03-09). “Creatures reborn for the mobile age” (Press launch). Spil Video games. Archived from the original on 2016-03-10. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- ^ “Features – Designer’s Notebook: More Sex(es) in Computer Games”. Gamasutra. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ a b c “Creatures 2 review (PC)”. CNET. 1998-11-13. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b “Synthetic Intelligence enters subsequent Millennium”. Edge. United Kingdom: 12–13. July 1996.
- ^ Albers, Marcus (13 March 2006). “Creatures: Village”. Inside Mac Games.
- ^ “Creatures Village Manual” (PDF). Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 5, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Electric Games Review: Creatures by Cyberlife Technologies/Mindscape”. 2005-08-18. Archived from the original on 2005-08-18. Retrieved 2013-10-03.
- ^ Grand, Steve (2000). “The Emergence of Character: Create Souls from Cells”. In Dautenhahn, Kerstin (ed.). Human cognition and social agent know-how. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Firm. p. 374. ISBN 978-9027251398.
- ^ Hansen, Suzy (3 January 2002). “The emotional machine”. Salon.com.
- ^ a b Champandard, Alex J. (2007-10-01). “Evolving with Creatures’ AI: 15 Tricks to Mutate into Your Own Game”. AiGameDev.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- ^ Simpson, Toby (1997). Creatures : official strategies & secrets. San Francisco: Sybex. p. 40. ISBN 978-0782122022.
- ^ a b “Creatures 3 Behaviour FAQs”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Virtual Sadism”. Wired.com. 2001-11-21. Archived from the original on 2001-11-21. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Discovering companionship in a digital age”. Next Generation: 56–63. October 1997.
- ^ “The evolution of a species”. Creatures.org.uk. March 1994. Archived from the original on 2001-02-12. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ Frank, Jenn (2012-01-27). “Playing God: On Death, Motherhood and ‘Creatures‘“. Unwinnable. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “The Toxic Norn Story”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “The Treehugger Norn Story”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2014-02-05. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “The Magma Norn Story”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ Jepsen, Daybreak (November 1997). “It is Alive: Creatures Is Certain To Tickle Your Fancy”. Computer Gaming World (160): 314–315.
- ^ “Creatures Newsletter June p.2”. Cyberlife. Archived from the original on 1997-10-16. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ Meinfelder, Edmond. “Creatures”. Gamer’s Zone. Archived from the original on 2009-03-12. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ “Shee Mystery Unfolds”. creatures.org.uk. Archived from the original on December 14, 2000. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b Grand, Steve (4 November 1994). “Small Furry Creatures: The Definitive Article”. Cyberlife Analysis. Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures 2 Newsletter 1”. creatures.org.uk. 1998-12-06. Archived from the original on 1998-12-06. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Digital DNA Swap Meet”. Wired.com. 2001-11-29. Archived from the original on 2001-11-29. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Creatures July Newsletter Page 1”. Cyberlife. Archived from the original on 1997-10-15. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- ^ “THE CREATURES TOOLBAR”. Cyberlife. 1997-10-16. Archived from the original on 1997-10-16. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures Deluxe Breeder’s Manual” (PDF). Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 4, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b “Creatures 2 Manual” (PDF). Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 4, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ Brooker, Charlie (12 Aug 2001). “Creatures”. ComputerAndVideoGames.com. Archived from the original on 20 January 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- ^ Meer, Alec (20 December 2016). “Have You Played… Creatures?”. Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- ^ a b Smith, Peter (1998-01-31). “Creatures Review”. Computer Games Strategy Plus. Archived from the original on 2003-10-27. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ Brumbaugh, Jim (July 16, 1997). “Creatures”. Adrenaline Vault. Archived from the original on 2006-03-03. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ a b Walou, Eddie (November 2012). “Des norns, des neurones, et des euros”. Joystick (in French). pp. 50–51.
- ^ a b Lusth, Kahn (September 2013). “Creatures On-line”. Canard PC (in French): 58–59.
- ^ Schiaratura, Sophie. “Forum • View topic – Weekly update #8 – 23 September – 02 October 2013”. Creatures On-line Official Web site. Archived from the original on 2013-11-03. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- ^ Creatures Model – Computing History
- ^ James, Bonnie (June 11, 1997). “Creatures”. The Electronic Playground. Archived from the original on 1 August 1997. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- ^ “Creatures 3 Manual” (PDF). Gameware Improvement. Retrieved 2012-11-12.[dead link]
- ^ a b “Creatures Docking Station Manual” (PDF). Gameware Improvement. Retrieved 2012-11-12.[dead link]
- ^ Smith, Peter (1998-01-31). “Creatures Life Kit #1 Review”. Computer Games Strategy Plus. Archived from the original on 2003-07-05. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Creatures 2”. Next Generation: 23. July 1998.
- ^ “Creatures 2 Life Kit 1”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ “Creatures 2 Life Kit 2”. Gameware Improvement. Archived from the original on 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ Clarkson, Mark (February 1999). “Creatures 2: Energy-ups and Assistance on Hold Your Norns Alive”. Computer Gaming World (175): 258.
- ^ Walkland, Nick (12 Aug 2001). “Creatures 2”. ComputerAndVideoGames.com. Archived from the original on 19 January 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- ^ Fisk, Sid (24 November 1998). “Creatures 2 by Mindscape & Cyberlife Technology Ltd”. Gamezilla. Archived from the original on 22 June 2001. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- ^ “Creatures 3”. Recreation Middle.com. Archived from the original on 2000-08-21. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- ^ “Creatures 3 | ComputerAndVideoGames.com”. ComputerAndVideoGames.com. 2001-08-12. Archived from the original on 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- ^ “Creatures Gets New Creatures”. IGN. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ “Creatures Docking Station”. GameZone. Archived from the original on 2001-06-07. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- ^ Cadotte, Joseph (15 September 2006). “Creatures: Exodus”. Inside Mac Games.
- ^ “The Banshee Grendels”. Creature Labs. Archived from the original on 2002-12-08. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Announcing Creatures 4 on iOS, Mac and PC”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2011-05-18. Archived from the original on 2012-12-16. Retrieved 2012-10-22.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » The uncensored truth about Creatures 4”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures 4: Q&A with the devs & Alpha-test”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2013-02-21. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- ^ Di Stefano, Andrea (27 September 2012). “Forum • View topic – the 3d… whats up with it”. Creatures On-line Official Web site. Archived from the original on 18 Could 2016. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures 4 Dev Update: The Light at the End of the Tunnel”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- ^ “Fishing Cactus development blog » Blog Archive » Creatures 4 : Procedural Fur Patterns”. Weblog.fishingcactus.com. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- ^ Di Stefano, Andrea (24 November 2012). “Forum • View topic – PGW 2012 Demo Video”. Creatures On-line Official Web site. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- ^ a b Mika, Andrea di Stefano, Samuel Languy (2013). Aug 24, 2013 5:55am (Interview). Fb: Creatures On-line. Occasion happens at 1.52. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
Samuel Languy: “A number of gamers favored to play it however did not actually know what – ‘Is it a sport, is it not?’ As a result of they had been launched into the sport with none tutorial, any aim, similar to creatures to play with and a number of scientific stuff round…”
- ^ Lyon, James (1999). “Creatures Adventures”. PC Zone: 109.
- ^ Schofield, Jack (16 November 2000). “Games reviews”. The Guardian. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- ^ Roper, Chris (23 September 2002). “Creatures Review”. IGN.
- ^ de Araujo, Lisa (2003-08-26). “Portfolio: Creatures Project Loci”. Archived from the original on 2003-08-26. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ a b “GameWare Development”. GameWare Improvement. 2003-01-01. Archived from the original on 2016-01-05. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- ^ Rascii. “Creatures Caves | Home”. creaturescaves.com. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- ^ “Creatures Community Spirit Festival”. www.creatures.org.uk. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- ^ Denton, Abby (12 January 2018). “Artificial life finds a way: the legacy of Creatures”. Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- ^ Rita Courtney (2000). “GameZone.com – PC Game Reviews – Creatures 3”. Archived from the original on 2001-07-01. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- ^ a b Hubble, Calvin. “Creatures Review”. Recreation Revolution.
- ^ Fielder, Lauren (1998-11-13). “Creatures 2 Review”. GameSpot. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- ^ Leonard, Andrew. “The Game of Life”. Road Cred. Wired.com. Archived from the original on November 27, 2013.
- ^ “Creatures 3”. 2001-05-08. Archived from the original on 2001-05-08. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- ^ “Creatures”. Next Generation: 91–92. Could 1997.
- ^ Alderman, John (6 Could 1997). “Tamagotchi, Schmamagotchi: Here Come the Norns”. Wired.com. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013.
- ^ Daniel, Caroline. “Little life varieties to name your personal.” New Statesman 15 Nov. 1996: 12. Literature Useful resource Middle. Internet. 12 Nov. 2015.
- ^ “Creatures Sells 100,000 Copies in Much less Than 100 Days, Digital Life Sim from Mindscape Continues to Fly off the Cabinets.” Business Wire 3 Nov. 1997: 11030074. Basic OneFile. Internet. 12 Nov. 2015.
- ^ Schindler, Jay. “CREATURES.” Simulation & Gaming 29.4 (1998): 482. Basic OneFile. Internet. 12 Nov. 2015.
- ^ Labriola, Don. “Mindscape’s Creatures brings synthetic life to your desktop.” Computer Shopper Nov. 1997: 290. Basic OneFile. Internet. 12 Nov. 2015.
- ^ Leith, Alex. “Playing a science-based video game? It might be all wrong”. The Dialog. Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- GamesTM. Could 2007.
- Grand, Steve (2001). Creation : life and how to make it. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard College Press. ISBN 978-0674006546.
- Joystick (in French). October 1996.
- Lyall, Sarah (February 2, 2002). “Man Who Would Be God: Giving Robots Life”. The New York Instances.
- “The ability of life: CyberLife introduces the following phrase within the digital pet craze”. Next Generation: 206. November 1997.
- PC Zone. October 1996.
- Simpson, Toby (1998). Creatures 2 : official methods & secrets and techniques. San Francisco: Sybex. ISBN 978-0782124408.
- https://archive.is/20130206171833/http://www.gamesmania.de/game/creatures/1375/ (German)
- Game.EXE (in Russian). Moscow: Computerra (3). March 1997.
- Ndalianis, Angela (September 1999), “The long run breed: creatures and mad science”, Artlink, 19 (3): 14–16, ISSN 0727-1239
- “Creatures that may breed on the desktop.(Options)”, The Instances (London, England): 12, 1996-11-20, ISSN 0140-0460
- “Norns alive! Digital critters want numerous care.(FEATURES)”, The Australian (Nationwide, Australia), Information Restricted: C11, 1998-09-22
- Hewson, David (1997-11-23), “Creature options; House and studying.(Options)”, Sunday Instances (London, England): 7, ISSN 0956-1382
- Powell, Nigel (1998-09-30), “Dad and mom are saved busy tending to creature comforts.(Options)”, The Instances (London, England): 11, ISSN 0140-0460
- Hewson, David (1997-08-03), “Digital DNA leaves Tamagotchi in evolutionary useless finish; Sounding off.(Options)”, Sunday Instances (London, England): 20, ISSN 0956-1382
- Official website (Gameware Europe)
Article supply :=> Read More